Wednesday, December 14, 2011

#freetotweet

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.


Recognize this? You should! It's the most important amendment (sorry if you think another one is more important). But seriously, this amendment protects each and every one of us so that we can write, protest, say, and sometimes do whatever we want. 


If you need a catchy refresher of the amendment, check out this YouTube video. 


As a Journalism and Political Science double major, this amendment is EXTREMELY important to me. How else would I be able to write about what I want? Especially if I'm writing about politics. Without this amendment, people could try to prohibit me from writing and informing the world about important things. 


It's ironic because this amendment allows journalists to be watchdogs of the government. We can write about every single thing that government officials are doing because they can't stop us from writing it. So due to an amendment that the government passed, journalists can check the government. 


And although I love the fact that this amendment lets me do my dream job, there are many other great things! Like the fact that the government can't control what religion anyone is. It's wonderful that people can come to America and not worry about the government trying to take away their religious beliefs. And it's great for everyone already here too. 


Don't like what the government is doing? Want to protest (peacefully!) or inform them about your complaints? Go right ahead! They practically want you to! Why else would they have an amendment allowing you to do that?


If I haven't already convinced you about how amazing/cool/fantastic/great/any other good adjective this amendment is, then... well I don't know. You must hate freedom. Try watching the video again. But I bet I have convinced you or I bet you already knew. 


Just keep in mind how fortunate we are to live in a country that provides us this freedom. And y'all be thankful for it every day!



No comments:

Post a Comment