Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A stamp is a tiny, flimsy thing...

Yesterday was a busy day, but in a good way! I had a meeting with my advisor, class at 12:30, and then it was off to have a fun afternoon.


I was looking for a museum to go to that was close and wouldn't take too long to look through. I only had a couple of free hours, but I still wanted to go explore. So we went to the Post Office Museum.


It was really quiet there, probably because it was a Monday and not a lot of people think to go there. But I learned a lot and they had great exhibits!

One exhibit showed the evolution of separating mail. Amazing to think there didn't used to be zip codes... or machines to separate stuff!


Another exhibit was about the Titanic and the Hindenburg. I knew about the Titanic, but I didn't know anything about the Hindenburg.

I think this was the saddest thing I saw all day. This boy was 8 when he survived the Titanic- but then he was in a car crash 3 years later and died.


There was a huge stamp collection with stamps from every place and time imaginable! Australia Olympics? Check. Amelia Earhart? Check. Czechoslovakia. Panama. France. Jamaica. Check, check, check, check.





I really liked seeing all the stamps. One quote at the museum by E.V. Lucas said "A stamp is a tiny, flimsy thing, no thicker than a beetle's wing. And yet it will roam the world for you exactly where you tell it to." I love sending and receiving mail, so this was perfect for me!

And these are the trains that they would ship and separate mail in! They were made of wood, which apparently wasn't good when they crashed. This museum was just full of happy facts :)


Sorry about posting depressing facts from the museum- I don't know why I remember that stuff the most! Anyways, the rest of my day was great too! We went to a Washington Center Gala, where everyone was dressed all fancy, there was a nice meal, and people won awards. 

The Director of our Journalism School and his wife came to the gala, all the way from Fort Worth. It was nice to spend an evening with them and other TCU students! 

Do you like sending or receiving mail? 
Are your more likely to remember happy or sad facts from museums?


1 comment:

  1. Yes, I'm always interested in seeing what has been delivered.

    I'm more interested in seeing happy facts.

    Very interesting how the post office has evolved, and even more interesting is what is the future of the post office.

    ReplyDelete