Wednesday, August 29, 2012

How quickly can we go through all of these museums?

We arrived to DC on a Saturday night and it was interesting, to say the least. After managing to get 4 heavy suitcases and 4 carry-on bags to our hotel, we decided to walk around the town we were staying in.

We stayed in Old Town Alexandria. To let you know how adorable it is, they have uneven brick sidewalks, little hole-in-the-wall shops and restaurants, and the main road leads you right to the waterfront. 

Courtesy askmissa.com


We walked the 14 blocks to the waterfront and had dinner at The Fish Market. But by the time we had walked to the waterfront and finished dinner, it was pouring out. That was my first experience of being caught in the rain here without an umbrella. Don't worry, it's happened a couple more times since then. 

The next day we completed A LOT. Stop 1= The Air and Space Museum


It was awesome (and free!), so I will definitely be going back to explore again. Stop 2= Hirshhorn Museum


This exhibit is not finished, but it is really amazing! There are great quotes on the wall everywhere, like this one: "Give your brain as much attention as you do your hair and you'll be a thousand times better off."

The other exhibits did not go as well for us. I don't think we are cultured enough to understand art because we laughed at some art pieces that didn't make sense to us. 


For example, this was a bunch of blue strings hanging from the ceiling that you walk through. It was cool, but I'm not sure what the meaning is. And there was a room painted white that had colored lights. The best was one that looked like a bunch of random colored shapes titled "Landscape with Poodle", AKA my poodle, Zachary. 

We also went to the Smithsonian Castle. Unfortunately, you couldn't explore the castle that day- I'm going to have to find out when I can look around it more!



We did a lot of walking that first day and saw a bunch of places, so it was a great first day in DC! 


Do you like to walk through museums quickly to see everything (like I do) or take your time?
Are you someone who understands art/ enjoys going to art museums?
What is one of your favorite quotes?



8 comments:

  1. Interesting, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish Granted Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the look of your new blog! Sure captures the DC vibe :) I'm with you on the abstract art - I just don't get it. It might be pretty (or strange) but sometimes I don't see what the artist intended. Keep on sharing! We are sharing your dream thru the blog & your experiences :) ~ Aunt Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad that the blog is working out as a way to let everyone know what I'm up to! Glad you feel the same way about abstract art :p

      Delete
  4. Love the blog! I don't think anyone "gets" abstract art, except the artist.

    "none of us are perfect, but we are all perfectly lovable"
    I hope your experiences in DC are nothing short of wonderful!

    Love you
    MaryAlice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the quote too, that's a good thing to remember :)

      Delete
  5. Very good summary of our first day in Wash DC, it was a very fun day with lots of exercising. My legs definitely hurt after that first full day. Yes, I like the new blog. And you already know my favorite quote: "With great power, comes great responsibility". This quote is very applicable to life and politics in DC. And my new favorite quote is "CELEBRATE LIFE". Response by "Clark Kent"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha good quotes for me to remember, I'll keep both of them in mind!

      Delete